1.29.2011

Composition of jumbled thoughts



While I have been contemplating how to put my thoughts together of my trip
to Paris and Romania this past month, I've also struggled with the idea of 
opening up my soul again to my feelings about it. My most intimate
RAW feelings are tucked away deep inside. I'm simply afraid to reopen 
the sadness and introduce you to them. Is that odd? 

Photos say many things, but an experience opens a world of emotions.

I think I will just show you photos of my experience in Romania first to share this experience with you.
Please feel free to cry, wonder, keep reading, just feel
Exactly like I did.
My Uncle Emmanuel and my Mama

Street next to my Grandparents apartment

Frost was so thick and cold. I fell in love.

There were many homeless dogs in Romania. Makeshift shelters like this were created for some.

Stay with me, there is plenty more to see. 
There was once beauty in architecture here.

Beauty in buildings.

There was once LIFE on these streets.
But now there is rubble. Rubble from over 20 years of destruction. Most streets still look like bombs were dropped and shots were fired recently. I've heard the rebuilding process is hard, there is no doubt in my mind of that. Until the government wakes up to realize the reality just outside their doorsteps nothing will happen. There is so much corruption and selfishness in the government officials alone it's no wonder nothing will be done in the next 30 years at least! Elderly people in their 70's and 80's are forced to make anything they know to make to sell, to NOT resort to begging. 

Take this for example; 
300 lei (Romanian currency)= $100 U.S. dollars. 
My grandfathers Romanian pension is currently less than $300 a month. 
That is considered a middle class pension. 
Sad fact is while that maybe his pension, food there is STILL around the same price as ours. 
Extremely HIGH. 

This realization was the sad truth I encountered multiple times in country. 
Most of the times you would see elderly like this woman,
Being pushed away while she was trying to sell her goods. How can a person live on such little a month and the arrogance of others? 
My biggest question I could not wrap my mind around was the fact there IS arrogance in the attitudes of people.  How is that possible with the state of the country in sorrow all around them? Where is the arrogance coming from? WHY is it coming? All of these thoughts constantly plagued my mind the whole trip. I consider myself a pretty cultured person overall, but this attitude I've never encountered before in any country I've been to. It was almost sickening.
There was beauty in the country to. 
Peles Castle. Former Romanian royalty would spend summers here

Queen's former drawing room

Sighisoara, Romania

Interesting fact about Sighisoara Romania it is one of the only fortified cities in Eastern Europe that is still inhabited. The whole cities architecture is of an original medieval Europe. It is a beautiful city. 



Original architecture of the city is peaking through everywhere.
Although it was almost gut-wrenching to see elderly and animals in the streets with no place to go, it was almost refreshing to see history around the corner. If I didn't find beauty in the place around me, I did find beauty and happiness in my Grandparents reaction to my Mother and I surprising them. 
My Grandparents




Overall it will be an experience I will never forget. An experience I will never regret. But it has been a sad and humbling experience as well. Thank you mom for experiencing it with me. I know I am not alone in these feelings. Love you mama. 

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I bet it was an amazing experience... I probably wouldve cried when I saw the puppies, and elderly :(

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! Please keep them positive and insightful.